6.29.2006

The Numbing, Yet Poignant Details of Modern Life

My bestest friends could all radically alter their coifs. My apartment could drastically be rearranged. I could lose a limb. Six distinct male fashion revolutions could happen right under my nose. None of these things I would notice. Subtle changes in the Brown Line automated announcements, and I powerfully sense, somewhere in the most primitive parts of my brain, that we may be in for epochal social upheaval. Why must we talk so often of banning gambling on the trains now? When did Chicago become Chicago & Franklin? Has some DeLay-esque redistricting gone on in that area which I was not informed of? I swear, if they touch that uber-ironic "This is Grand" recording on the Red Line, I'm signing up for the campaigns of any and all Daley opponents.

4 Comments:

At 3:15 PM, Blogger Butternugget said...

They also added "pink line" connection messages, which on Monday morning I managed to hear even though I was deep into my loud music.

 
At 7:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should explain a little more about what changed on the Brown Line now. I'm confused.

I love that "This is Grand." It's back to back with "This is Chicago."

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger evandebacle said...

I believe the CTA tweaked their announcements as part of the process of bringing the Pink Line into the fold. Most of the changes on the Brown Line were subtle. A reference to gambling prohibitions on the train here, a lesson on cell phone etiquette there. Then they started messing with the actual stop names, and battle lines were drawn. Presumably these changes were made for the ones for which there are stops on the same street, but for different lines in reasonable proximity with one another. Thus Chicago on the Brown Line is now "Chicago and Franklin" and on the Red is "Chicago and State." And yes, Grand has now been changed to "This is Grand...and State." It's a dark day for public transportation.

 
At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Evandebacle, thanks for bringing these innovations to light. I agree that they are a blight on us all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home